Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Just Keep Swimming

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming. Since I can't tread water, I have to swim. I just don't know how long and how far I can go without a breath. The water is frigid and there is no land in sight. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming. Eventually I'll find a lifeboat or a rock to rest on.

I want my old life back. I want to go on like everyone else around me does, carefree, just wading in the water. Splish, splash, enjoying their fu-fu drinks in the sand.

I look back at them with envy. They don't see my gaze. They don't know how much I want to be them right now.

I never learned to butterfly. My backstroke is sloppy. I'll drown if I try to breastroke. So, front-crawl it is, and as much as that sucks it's all I have.

I didn't volunteer for this. I've been yanked from my beach chair and thrown in the water. Now I have to survive in a sea that is cold and unforgiving.

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming.

1 comment:

alecia said...

I'm sorry, Amy.
Will you ever have time to come see us?