Friday, August 14, 2009

Peeing on the Potty!!!

My very stubborn almost-4 year old has had a break through!!! Today he went on the tiolet several times, and stayed dry in underpants for most of the day. (He had one accident when he was outside.) THIS IS MAJOR! For about the past year, I have been growing more and more frustrated by his lack of interest or cooperation with toilet training. I kept thinking that when he is ready, he will just do it. Lately, as he approaches his 4th birthday on September 1st, I have grown mighty tired of the poopy diapers and soaked pants as he refuses to go near a toilet. He is fully aware of his bodily functions, anouncing what he just did and demanding a diaper change. But, broach the topic of using a toilet, and I get nothing but wailing NO's.

Everyone always said, "Find something that he really, really wants and then bribe him." There seemed to be nothing that he wanted badly enough, not even a trip to Michigan Adventure. Until we were invited to go horseback riding at my friend Julie's house next Monday. Nathan is super syked about riding a pony. I started to get a little creative...I lamented that only kids that are potty trained get to ride a horse, because horses are really afraid of being peed on, and will buck you off if they sense that you are wearing a diaper. We talked about this for awhile, and I guess it was the motivation he needed to lose the diaper. During his bath today, he jumped out and went on the toilet, with Lauren's coaching. After the bath he went again, and then asked to wear underpants.

HALELUIA!

2 comments:

Jill said...

YYYYYYAAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!! Much rejoicing!!!!

Anonymous said...

Good Thinking on your part!
Hurray!!!!!!!!